CEO Succession Planning Questions
In brief: This publication centers around eight core questions designed to help directors engage in boardroom conversations on the qualifications needed for a future CEO. Produced by Heidrick & Struggles, this resource was originally published as a part of the Report of the NACD Blue Ribbon Commission on the Board and Long-Term Value Creation.
Boards can use this resource to assist them in taking the following steps:
- Identify current and future business needs.
- Assess talent within and outside of the organization.
- Discuss an executive compensation package that can both attract and retain desired talent.
- Establish the board's role in ensuring a smooth transition in leadership.
- Develop response plans for unanticipated changes in top leadership.
Most relevant audiences: board chairs, lead independent directors, committee chairs, nominating and governance committee members, compensation committee members